Baby boy found dead at Lincoln-Marti Daycare in Homestead


HOMESTEAD, FLA. (WSVN) – A baby boy was found dead in a Homestead daycare.

It happened Monday at the Lincoln-Marti Daycare near North Krome Avenue and Northwest Fifth street.

According to Miami-Dade Police, one of the employees was making the rounds at the daycare, checking on the kids, and noticed an infant in the crib who was not breathing and called 911.

Tayvon Tomlin was only 10 months old and is seen on home videos smiling for the camera, and that’s how his grandfather will always remember him.

“I hold my grandson every morning while my son get ready, get him ready for school, so I play with him,” said Sean Tomlin.

He said it started off like any other Monday.

“He was energetic and I played with him, and I clapped with him and everything, and when it was time to go outside to leave, he waved at me goodbye like we do every morning,” said Tomlin.

Tayvon was dropped off at the daycare and after 1 p.m. is when Tomlin received the unexpected phone call.

“I came out of the house, I was going to the hospital, and then my son called me right back and told me they had pronounced him deceased,” said Tomlin, “so I came here, straight to the school, to find out any information about that situation and that was probably around before 2 o’clock.”

Tavyon was airlifted by crew members to a local hospital where detectives said he was pronounced deceased.

Tayvon’s family sat outside of the daycare for hours and wondered how a boy they said had been so healthy has now passed away.

Lincoln-Marti later released a statement in regards to the tragic death saying: “As a result of a medical emergency, this afternoon, a child was transported from a Lincoln-Marti childcare center in Homestead by Miami-Dade Fire Rescue. It was later learned that the child passed away.”

Monday evening, as a woman locked up the gate to the daycare, 7News asked what had occurred and in Spanish she said they cannot comment as everything is under investigation.

Lincoln-Marti said they are working with the authorities to determine what caused the situation and offered their sincere condolences to the family.

Over the phone, Tayvon’s step-grandmother told 7News that investigators told the family the cameras inside the infant’s room were not working at the time.

“I’m still waiting on answers,” said Tomlin.

Police continue investigating.

Copyright 2022 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here